Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Consequence of Choice

The Consequence of Choice

Many of you who read Freedom Fighters know that I'm a Proverbs junkie.
I need a daily "fix" of Proverbs. God's wisdom in Proverbs is a daily reminder that I'm not smart enough to live life on my own.

Yesterday was June 7, so I read Proverbs 7. The instruction I read offered me the information I needed for today's edition of FF. It's the last piece I'm going to do on avoiding evil and pursuing the safety of biblical obedience.

The chapter begins with Solomon writing to his son. He first offer a series of instructions about obedience, commitment to God's Word and wisdom. The end result of that obedience and commitment is powerful: "they [will] keep you from the immoral woman, from the seductress who flatters with her words."

While the obvious interpretation of the "immoral woman" is the harlot who seduces foolish men, many who write on this chapter believe that Solomon may have used the "immoral woman" as a metaphor for anything Satan uses to seduce us and lure us into sin. Regardless of the interpretation, the issue is about choices.

Notice vss. 6-8. The writer sees a young man through his window. The young man chose foolishness over wisdom. He takes the path to the harlot's house. In the margin of my Bible I wrote this question next to vs. 8, "Did he have to do this?" Had he chosen wisdom and understanding and instruction, the answer is "no." Because he rejected those qualities and lived foolishly, he made the only choice he could. He had no internal compass to help him know the difference between right and wrong.

Please understand the consequences of choices. We become "wise in what
is good, and simple concerning evil" (Romans 16:19) by the choices we make one day at a time. Each choice we make that flows from God's wisdom and instruction strengthens us and prepares us for the next choice. Every time we make foolish choices, we make the next foolish choice easier to make. Every choice, no matter how benign, strengthens us or diminishes us.

Ask one simple question the next time you're faced with one of those defining choices in life. "Do I have to do this?" If you walk with Jesus, His Spirit lives within you. He'll help us discern the right answer to the question. God's Word and wisdom provides the necessary protection from every seduction. It's our choice to receive that protection or ignore it. Just don't forget. Every choice has consequences. Read vs. 27: the path to the harlot's house (literally and metaphorically) is the way to hell. . . ." Every choice has consequences. - John Strain is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Toms River

God's WORD for YOU: 2 Chronicles 30-31; John 18:1-18

Think about this: [God desires] not that He may say to them, "Look how mighty I am, and go down upon your knees and worship", for power alone was never yet worthy of prayer; but that He may say thus: "Look, my children, you will never be strong but with my strength. I have no other to give you. And that you can get only by trusting in me. I cannot give it you any other way. There is no other way. -- George Macdonald

No comments: