Thursday, May 22, 2008

This Needs No Title ... Just Surrender

This Needs No Title...just surrender.

"Remember my affliction and roaming, the wormwood and the gall, My soul still remembers and sinks within me. This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; GREAT is Your faithfulness.
"The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!"
Lamentations 3:19-24

I'm writing this on the morning of May 9th. I have taken the day off from work so I can pack the family for our trip to the Colony reunion this weekend. My wife, Kathy and my children, Kevin and Karen always look forward to this reunion. Keswick is a beautiful place and the friends we have made there always uplift and encourage. But I am taking a different approach to this day.

I am taking one of my quick glances back. On this day five years ago I was in quite difficult place. I was beginning my morning loathing in self pity somewhere in the woods of South Jersey. I was trying real hard to drink my breakfast. My body, just like my soul, couldn't take it no more and I hear "Chris, this has to stop." What? I heard it one more time and got spooked. I went back into civilization and tried to sober up.

I hadn't been home in awhile (Kathy tossed me) and I needed to act on what I just heard. That evening Kathy was allowing me to see our children and she told me this has to stop. That evening I seriously prayed. "Jesus, I don't care what I have to do, please take this from me." He heard me and this rest is history. A "gooder" history than I deserve.

Since that moment in time my life has become something I cannot put into words. I have been blessed. All I had to do was give up. Yeah that's right, I gave up. I had to decrease. I wasn't doing a good job of being a person anyway so I fired myself. I surrendered what I was to Christ and He is doing the work. Do I get in the way? Yeah once in awhile but I have been listening to the renewed mind and getting back in line.

What about you brother? Are you listening to the renewed mind? Are you surrendered enough to get back in line? The Word of God and the truths there in is a powerful tool to thwart off our adversary. Do yourself a favor this morning...listen to the Word of God. - Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy.

God's Word for YOU: 1 Chronicles 16-18; John 7:28-53

Think about this: His will is our hiding place. Corrie Ten Boom

No comments: