Friday, May 02, 2008

God the All Sufficient One

GOD THE ALL SUFFICIENT ONE

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew
6:21

Several years ago a friend of mine gave me a book that I have treasured in my devotional library. It is called THE VALLEY OF VISION and it is a collection of Puritan prayers. I am rereading it this month and have been blessed again at the depth at which these men talked to God.

I read this one this morning and it spoke volumes to my heart:

O God whose will conquers all,

There is no comfort in ANYTHING apart from enjoying You, and being engaged in Your service; You are ALL in all, and all enjoyments are what to me You make them, and no more. I am well pleased with Your will, whatever it is, or should be in all respects. And if You bid me decide for myself in any affair, I would choose to refer ALL to You, for you are infinitely wise and cannot do amiss, as I am in danger of doing.

I rejoice to think that ALL things are at YOUR disposal, and it delights me to leave them there. Then prayer turns wholly into praise, and all I can do is to adore and bless YOU!

What shall I give YOU for all Your benefits? I am in a strait betwixt go, knowing not what to do; I long to make some return, but have nothing to offer, and can only rejoice that You do all, that none in heaven or on earth shares Your honor. I can of myself do nothing to glorify Your blessed name, but I can through grace cheerfully surrender soul and body You.

I know that You are the author and finisher of faith, that the whole work of redemption is Yours alone, that every good work or thought found in me is the effect of Your power and grace, that Your sole motive in working in me to will and to do if for Your good pleasure.

O God, it is amazing that men can talk so much about man's creaturely power and goodness, when, if You did not hold back every moment, we should be devils incarnate. This, by bitter experience, You have taught me concerning myself." Amen

Powerful prayer! THE VALLEY OF VISION is available from the KESWICK BOOK AND GIFT SHOP. Call today and order a copy. It will bless your heart.
(732-350-1187 ext. 31) - Bill Welte is President and CEO of America's KESWICK

God's WORD for YOU: 2 Kings 12-13; Luke 22:1-30

Think about this: "Oh, see God's lovely rainbow!" said Daddy to his tiny daughter. "Yes, Daddy, He must have done it with His left hand."
"Whatever do you mean?" asked Daddy. "Well, Daddy, Jesus is on His right hand!" Amusing? Yet how true! - it is indeed because Jesus is THERE that the rainbow is HERE! - J. Sidlow Baxter

No comments: