Saturday, April 12, 2008

Needed Direction from Jeremiah 10:23

Needed Direction from Jeremiah 10:23

My wife and I have used the same Bible reading schedule for the last few years. It's been a blessing and surprise to see how things come to light one year that we've not noticed in previous years. It's one of the great joys of regularly reading the Scriptures.

During almost forty years of ministry, I've learned a few things. One thing I've learned specifically applies to men pursuing freedom in their lives. Those men who think they've figured everything out fail more often than not. Many of seem to have difficulty admitting that we don't know as much as we think we do.

Jeremiah reminded me this week that I need to be careful how I think about myself and my abilities. Many who read Freedom Fighter probably need the same reminder. Hear Jeremiah's words: "O Lord, I know the way of man is not in himself; It is not in man who walks to direct his own steps."

Those words stuck in my heart. I often want to direct my own steps. Sometimes I try to direct my steps even when I know I can't. We need to hear Jeremiah's words! When we think we're more competent than God to direct our lives, we fool ourselves and head for trouble.

Every man who loves God and wants to walk with Him must choose submission to God's direction over his own inclinations. We just don't know what's best for us. We can't do better than God. It's a simple lesson that will protect us from ourselves and the enemy of our souls.

Let's memorize Jeremiah 10:23 this week and spend some time meditating on our need for God's direction in our lives. -- Pastor John Strain is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Toms River

Think about this:

We do not here advocate the turning of churches over to the women, but we do advocate a recognition of proper spiritual qualifications for leadership among men if they are to continue to decide the direction the churches shall take. The accident of being a man is not enough. Spiritual manhood alone qualifies. A. W. Tozer

No comments: