Monday, February 11, 2008


Who really owns my stuff?

What does it mean that God is the owner and I am the steward? We think, I give my 10% (or at least try to), so I guess God should be happy. Well, not exactly.

God is just as concerned about the 10% that we give to Him as He is about the other 90(+)% that we keep. And the reason is simple. It is His. Haggai 2:8 says "'The silver is mine and the gold is mine' declares the LORD Almighty". And if that is not enough, check out Psalm 24:1; Psalm 50:10-12; 1 Corinthians 10:26 and a bunch of other passages. It is pretty clear that God owns everything.

If we put our money in a bank or mutual fund and they do not handle it the way we want them to, what would we do? Take it out of that financial institution and reinvest it. They are stewards of our investments just like we are stewards of God's money. No, we don't sign all those papers like we do with the financial institution, but God does give us his Word with many instructions on how we should manage His money (over 2,000 verses to be exact).

Well at least we have our job, right? Well not exactly. Deuteronomy
8:18 says ..."the Lord your God...is He who is giving you power to make
wealth". He is even sovereign over our jobs. That last raise we got
was really a result of His sovereignty more than our great performance review.

OK, about now we are probably thinking, I guess I don't own anything but myself. Sorry about this, but it says in 1 Corinthians 6:20 that we are bought with a price. I guess we don't even own ourselves.

So what is the bottom line here? God owns my money, my ability to make money and even me, (plus everything else). I better start being a better manager or steward of all those things and pay attention to how God wants me to handle His stuff.

1 Corinthians 4:2 says "Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful". Another way of saying that is, God wants us to take care of His money and everything else we are managers of. That is no small responsibility!

God very much cares about how we handle His money. He says in Luke
12:34 "Where our treasure is, there our heart will be also". I guess that explains it. How we handle our money is a good indication of how much we love God. - George Hutchison is a member of the Board of Trustees of America's KESWICK and is a instructor for Crown Financial Ministries.

Great Quote: There is nothing small in the service of God. Francis de Sales

No comments: