Saturday, February 23, 2008

Soul Care: Discipline

SOUL CARE: DISCIPLINE

"My son, give attention to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart; for they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh. Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life." (Proverbs 4:20-23)

We're thinking about the care of our souls. Last weekend we thought about two of the four words I suggested can help us pursue soul care:
hunger and time. I invite you to think with me this morning about the third word: discipline.

I've shared with Freedom Fighter readers in the past about the spiritual disciplines and how they help us become more like Christ. Discipline is an important word when thinking about the Christian life, especially when we're thinking about the nurture of our souls.

Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived. He tells us that we need to keep our hearts with all diligence. Look at the words he uses: "give attention," incline your ear," "do not let them depart," and "keep
them." These are all "discipline" kinds of words or phrases. He
understood a simple truth. Those who take care of their souls live at a higher level of discipline than those who don't nurture their souls.

This is not some kind of ascetic discipline rooted in works or self-determination. It is a discipline that flows out of that hunger for God's work and presence in our lives. The discipline focuses on God's Word, both the written Word (the Bible) and the Living Word (Jesus). As we immerse ourselves in God's Word and God's Son, we discover the combination of word and practice that will sustain us and empower us.

I need to remind you that all Freedom Fighters engage in warfare every day. The enemy of our souls "roams about seeking whom he may devour."
One day without discipline and diligence offers him the opportunity for which he waits. One careless day makes us vulnerable to Satan's attacks. Only those who choose daily discipline in the care of their souls stand against his tricks.

We began a prayer for soul care last week. It goes like this: "Heavenly Father, I confess that I've neglected my soul. I ask for soul hunger like that of the psalmist. Create in me a deep hunger for a healthy soul. Lead me to the scripture verses and other reading that will help me know my need and help me learn to give my soul care. I yield to Your ongoing work in my life as I begin to watch over my soul. Lord, by Your power, help me make time for my soul. It will profit me nothing if I gain the whole world and lose my soul. I choose to set aside time for soul care. I choose spiritual health over spiritual neglect. Help me, O Lord, I pray. Amen."

Join me in adding another part to our prayer. "Lord God, build into my life that Spirit-driven discipline that will keep me on guard for my soul. Empower me to live in Your Word and in Your Son. I ask this in the name of Your Son, Jesus. Amen." -- Pastor John Strain is Senior Pastor of First Baptist Toms River and our weekend Freedom Fighter contributor.

Great Quote: There come times when I have nothing more to tell God. If I were to continue to pray in words, I would have to repeat what I have already said. At such times it is wonderful to say to God, "May I be in Thy presence, Lord? I have nothing more to say to Thee, but I do love to be in Thy presence. Ole Kristian O. Hallesby

No comments: