Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Took a Break -- Oops!

I TOOK A BREAK...oops

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world-the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life-is not of the Father but is of the world. And this world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of the God abides forever." 1 John 2:15-17

The drive to work is about 30 miles, so for me, that leaves a good 45 minutes for mediation, reflection or prayer. Some mornings it can be all three but recently I had the aforementioned verse running on a constant play back loop.

I had been asked by my Pastor to fill in for him on his Wednesday night Bible study. I picked the topic of Biblical friendships when I happened upon this verse in my Bible. It was highlighted. And I remember standing in the Colony chapel sharing this very same verse the night I graduated from my stay at the colony.

I did not know what God had in store for me after that night but I knew that conforming to the world was no longer an option but this time John's words were coming across in a different way. I began to pray these words for a good week. I began to feel convictions in areas of my walk that were not being maintained and then my phone rang. It was Bill Welte. WHAT!? Bill asked if my wife and I would fill in as pray partners for a recent couple's conference. Of course we said yes. To serve Jesus in this way is a blessing. Besides, my brothers, my prayer life was not everything it should be and one of the areas I had felt conviction. (I wonder if God spoke to Bill about this.)

After I returned Bill's phone call worldly things no longer mattered. I felt at peace. My Heavenly Father was listening to me and had answered me. Saying no to Bill was not an option (for those of us who know him it never is anyway). Doing the will of the Father was all that mattered and He chose my wife and me.

When John penned this letter he was defending the Church.
Jesus' Church! And I had taken a break from the battle for the Gospel.
John however took no break. Even on Patmos, he continued on. So who was I to go on cruise control? What was I thinking? Thank God the adversary got a poor foothold.

Martin Luther said "If the devil were wise enough and would stand by in silence and let the Gospel be preached, he would suffer less harm. For when there is no battle for the Gospel it rusts and it finds no cause and no occasion to show its vigor and power. Therefore, nothing better can befall the Gospel than that the world should fight it with force and cunning."

Break time is over Brothers, break time is over. - Chris Hughes is a graduate of the Colony of Mercy

Great Quote: "I am most joyously content that Christ would break all my idols to bits. It renews my love for Christ to see that he is jealous of my love, and will have it all to Himself." - Samuel Rutherford

No comments: