Saturday, February 16, 2008

He Restores My Soul

HE RESTORES MY SOUL

"He restores my soul." (Psalm 23:3)

We're thinking about soul care during the February weekends. During the first two weekends, I've tried to establish what soul care is and why we need it. One of the foundation verses for our consideration comes from
Proverbs: "Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life." (Proverbs 4:23)

Let's think for the rest of the month about how that soul care happens.
I've got four more editions of Freedom Fighter, and I'd like us to think about four words: hunger, time, discipline and accountability.

Soul care begins with hunger. We have to come to a place where we know our souls aren't as healthy as they should be and not accept that condition. The more we read Scripture (especially the Psalms), the more we discover the reality of a healthy soul. In discovering the potential of a healthy soul, we gain a hunger for that reality.

The psalmist said, "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God . . .." (Psalm 42:1&2) That brings us to our first hard question. Have we allowed God to awaken in us a hunger for His presence and work in our souls?

Soul care begins by asking God to give us a hunger for the care only He can give our souls. An honest examination (We thought about that last
week.) will tell us that our souls need care if we are to know God as intimately as He wants to know us.

Pray this prayer with me this week. "Heavenly Father, I confess that I've neglected my soul. I ask for soul hunger like that of the psalmist. Create in me a deep hunger for a healthy soul. Lead me to the scripture verses and other reading that will help me know my need and help me learn to give my soul care. I yield to Your ongoing work in my life as I begin to watch over my soul. Amen"

I promise to pray for you (even though I don't know you by name), and I ask you to pray for me as we commit to care for our souls. - Pastor John Strain is the Senior Pastor of First Baptist Toms River and our weekend Freedom Fighter contributor.

Great quote: There are no shortcuts to holiness. There is no easy way to conquer the flesh. Christian character is a matter of growth, not of secrets or formulas. Growth takes time. It also takes the discipline of prayer, of study, of heart searching, of sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's pleading, and of consistent obedience. It must always begin with a renewed thankfulness for the never-ending grace of God, and a sense of being set free repeatedly to a life of holiness. -- John White

No comments: