Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Proud or Humble

Proud or Humble

James 4:6: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

Ever been puffed up ... have a head or ego so big you can't get through a door? I have. A friend of mine once said that a big ego leads to false pride. Price comes from the state of mind of being proud ... possessing a high and often unreasonable opinion of one's own excellence. God opposes that. When someone opposes you, you are in a battle. When that someone is God, you will lose that battle. It's happened to me too many times, so you'd think I would learn a lesson from that and not go there anymore.

2 Peter 1:3-4 says, "His divine power (divine meaning excellent to the highest degree), has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." For me to think that my way was excellent, and to pit that against God and His divinity, is just plain arrogant and stupid. I don't see my name in the Scripture just mentioned. It's all about God and His way, His nature. It's as if I had forgotten that I had been cleansed from my past sin (2 Peter 1:9). His blood was shed, not mine.

Look at King Uzziah (2 Chronicles 26). He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord and God gave him success (vs. 4-5). He went to war against the Philistines, broke down city walls then rebuilt them (v. 6). He built towers in Jerusalem and in barren places, had much lifestock and fertile lands (vs. 9-10). He had a well-trained army with all type of weapons and provided them with protection (vs. 11-15). But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the Lord (v. 16). He was confronted, got angry, and leprosy broke out on his forehead (v. 19). He had leprosy till the day he died (v. 21). He was even buried in a separate field because of his affliction, away from others (v. 23). He forgot Who gave him success and what was the most excellent way.

I do not want to die with leprosy, or in my pride. Yes, I have experienced the separation and pain that comes from thinking my way is most excellent. Proverbs 14:12 says, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." I do not want to go there. I wan to be one of the few (Matt. 7:14) who will participate with Him and experience His divine nature.

What about you? What team are you on? To be on God's team, we must get out of ourselves and lose our life for Him (Matt. 10:39). Never forget God is 100% successful and does not lose. Always remember He wants you on His team. -- Annonymous

Great Quote: When God measures a man he puts the tape around his heart, not his head.

No comments: