Friday, January 11, 2008

Defender of the Faith

Defender of the Faith

"You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. You therefore must endure hardship as a good solider of Jesus Christ."
2 Timothy 2:1-3

How many of you went out into the world during the month of December shouting, "Jesus is the reason for the season" or "Put Christ back in Christmas"? Okay, now put your hands down. Out of those of you who raised their hands, how many of you practice that same zeal year 'round?

I was wondering about my zeal while my son, nephew and I were taking the outside Christmas lights down (and with my wife's suggestion, we cleaned the gutters around our home). I had been one of those who spent time to defend the faith this past month and got a little beat up doing it. And although I am called to make a stand, it was hard hearing "Santa Scrooge" when asked what I planned to give as presents to some of the folks around me. All I wanted to do was give as much Jesus as I could.

In 98 A.D. people were shouting "Great is Diana of the Ephesians!" in Ephesus. The people were celebrating the feast of Catagogion. It was major money making feast. And even though Timothy tried to avoid the merriment he wound up right in front of its procession. He made a stand and was called a blasphemer. He was beaten and died of wounds a few days later. That is true defense of faith. That is true zeal.

In front of the crowd, Timothy was quoted as saying, "Do as you please!
And what if pleases you is a trap? What if it is a bond that will take your life from you before you have even lived and chain you to regret and dissatisfaction? Jesus came that you might have life and life abundantly! Why accept the chains of sin when you can live free in His Spirit!"

Paul's charge to Timothy was clear. And Timothy followed to the end. I do not believe that I should make a stand once in awhile but all the while. I pray that our loving and gracious Father can forgive me in my shortcoming this past month and in those times where I did not even recognize my charge to defend my faith in Christ. I pray that you too will make your stand when it is your time.

Here's a good quote from Jesus Freaks Vol II

"There is a time to be quiet, but there is also a time to speak out. If a friend is not looking and about to trip out over something in his path, isn't it only natural for us to shout out and warn him before he hurts himself? How much more should we yell if he is casually on his way to hell and has no idea that there is something better?"

Chris Hughes graduated from the Colony of Mercy in 2003. Chris, and his wife Cathy, attend First Baptist Church in Little Egg Harbor, NJ. Chris is also a student at the KESWICK INSTITUTE OF BIBLICAL STUDIES. Check information for the January semester at www.americaskeswick.org

Great quote: It is possible to be so active in the service of Christ as to forget to love him. P. T. Forsyth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was wondering where you got Timothy’s quote from? I'd like to use that but want to know where it came from so I can cite it. Thank you!
Jimmy