Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Table for Two

A TABLE FOR TWO

We thought about aspirations and the table reserved for two yesterday.
We considered Revelation 3:20 where Jesus invites us to sit down at the table with Him. What can you and I do to make sure we spend time at that table in 2008? Allow me to give you some suggestions.

It all begins with a choice. You can open the door and invite Jesus in, or you can choose not to. I'll assume that most who read Freedom Fighter have come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. If my assumption is correct, then what possible reason could we have for choosing not to allow Him time at the table with us? Nothing any of us has going on in our lives is worth missing table time with Jesus. So, we begin with a choice. We choose to spend time at the table.

Then discipline kicks in. We determine that we'll make the time and not let other things interfere with our time at the table. That may mean getting up a little earlier. Or we may have to turn the TV off earlier to have time before we close out the day. Because we believe table time with Jesus is important, we discipline ourselves to make it happen.

We also need nurturing to make the time profitable. In addition to reading the Scriptures, we need to read good Christian writers that can nurture our souls and enrich our time at the table. The little book I mentioned yesterday, "The Table of Inwardness," by Calvin Miller might be a good place to start. If enough of you request it, Bill Welte can have it ordered for the Keswick Bookstore.

Finally, accountability will help us in the pursuit of fulfilled aspirations. I have people in my life (like Bill Welte) who regularly question me about my walk with Jesus. For the last several months I've met with a Spiritual Director who has become a companion on my journey with Jesus. He helps me think through my time at the table and asks hard questions that help me keep focused.

Remember, however, that it starts with a choice. Don't forget the invitation. "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." (Revelation 3:20)

I pray that, by God's grace, many of us will spend time at the "table reserved for two." Just Jesus and you. Just Jesus and me. (Pastor John Strain - First Baptist of Toms River)

Great Quote: We should go into His presence as a child goes to his father. We do it with reverence and godly fear, of course, but we should go with a childlike confidence and simplicity. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

No comments: