Sunday, September 02, 2007

Who Are You Serving

WHO ARE YOU KEEPING COMPANY WITH THESE DAYS?

George served as a deacon in the church I pastored in South Jersey. He's in heaven now, and I miss him. When I served with him, he was in his early 60's. I was twenty-nine; his boys were both older than I. He never called me anything but "Pastor," and he never made feel like I was as green in ministry as I was.

George never went past the eighth grade in school. Both his sons graduated from college and had graduate degrees. His parents never owned their own home. George did and paid it off several years early. He was wise. He was humble. He worked hard. He loved Jesus.

Jesus invites us to take His yoke as our own and to walk with Him and learn from Him. George decided to do that when he was just a young man. He continued to walk in that yoke until he died. He learned from Jesus. George knew the Scriptures. He knew godly principles for living. He knew how to love people with the love of Jesus. He knew how to love his wife as Christ loved the church. He learned all of that from walking in the yoke with Jesus.

When I think of the yoke, I think about the good reasons for being in the yoke with Jesus. I think of companionship with Jesus. I think about protection from the wicked one who would destroy my soul. I think of the "rest for your soul" that Jesus promises to those who get in the yoke. I think about the direction for living that comes from walking with Jesus one day at a time for all time.

George told me about how he and his wife dated when they were kids. He called it "keeping company" with Isabelle. They didn't date; they "kept company." It's an old term that you won't hear much these days. He kept company with the love of his life for more than fifty years. He kept company with Jesus for all those years, too.

Who are you "keeping company" with these days?

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Mt. 11:29)

This special weekend edition of Freedom Fighters was written by Pastor John Strain, First Baptist Toms River

Great Quote: We must know the power of the Blood if we are to know the power of God. Our knowing experimentally the power of the Word, the power of the Holy Spirit, and the power of prayer is dependent upon our knowing the power of the Blood of Christ.

No comments: