Monday, June 04, 2007

THE NEVER-FORSAKING GOD

THE NEVER-FORSAKING GOD

"He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you or forsake you.'" (Hebrews 13:5)

The Colony men have committed to memory a verse that hangs behind the pulpit at the Colony Chapel. It is the verse we use at the end of every service as our benediction: "And the Lord He it is that doth go before you; He will be with you, neither forsake you; fear not, neither be dismayed." (Deut. 31:8)

I remember one of my first summers at camp. My parents didn't drive so they were coming with someone else to pick me up. It was the very last week of camp and everyone including the camp counselors were gone. I was sitting on the road with my suitcase waiting for what seemed like hours.

As a ten-year old, it was a frightening experience being there all alone. In thinking back now, I am sure someone was still there, but at the time I felt all alone. I remember thinking, "Maybe they really did forget me!" or "What do I do if they don't come pick me up?" The panic and fear were starting to become overwhelming, and then peace filled my heart as I remembered this verse that I had to memorize that year in order to get my free week at camp!"

Each of us face those times in our lives when we THINK or FEEL that God has left us. Chambers nailed it again this morning:

"What line of thinking do my thoughts take? Do I turn to what God says or to my own fears? Am I simply repeating what God says, or am I learning to truly hear Him, and then respond after I have heard what He says? "For He HIMSELF said, 'I will NEVER leave you nor forsake you.' So we may BOLDLY say: 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?'"
(Hebrews 13:5-6)

"I will NEVER leave you ..." - not for any reason; not my sin, selfishness, stubbornness, nor waywardness. Have I really let God say to me that He will never leave me? If I have not truly heard this assurance of God, then let me listen again.

"I will NEVER forsake you ..." Sometimes it is not the difficulty of life but the DRUDGERY of it that makes me think God will forsake me. When there is no major difficulty to overcome, no vision from God, nothing wonderful or beautiful - just the everyday activities of life - do I hear God's assurance in these?

We have the idea that God is going to do some exceptional thing - that He is preparing and equipping us for some extraordinary work in the future. But as we grow in His grace we find that God is glorifying Himself here and now, at this very moment. If we have God's assurance behind us, the most amazing strength becomes ours, and we learn to sing, glorifying Him even in the ordinary days and ways of life."
(My Utmost for His Highest)

Good reminder as we begin this new week. Is there are area of your life where you feel that God has left you or forgotten you? Then remind yourself of this precious promise, my brother! Memorize it! Meditate on it! Remember Deut. 31:8

Great Quote: Salvation is the work of God for man; it is not the work of man for God. Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer

No comments: