Tuesday, May 22, 2007

THINK VICTORY! DEALING WITH TEMPTATION BIBLICALLY Part 2

DEALING WITH TEMPTATION BIBLICALLY Part 2

"No temptation has overtaken you, but such as is common to man; and God IS faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted BEYOND what you are able, but with the temptation will provide a way of escape also, that you may be able to endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

When we are facing temptation, we need to remind ourselves that we have a God who is faithful. I like the fact that Paul in his letter to the church at Corinth doesn't say "He was faithful." That is true. We can recall in our minds that times that God has proven Himself to be faithful in our lives. But we need to remind ourselves that today if/when we face temptation He is faithful for this moment as well.

Our faithful God knows exactly what you and I can handle and will not allow us to be tempted BEYOND what we are able to bear. I am thankful for that promise, aren't you? This morning I read these words: "He knows our frame; He remembers we are dust. A bruised reed He will not break, and a smoking flax He will not quench." (Psalm 103:14; Isaiah 42:3)

The enemy of your soul is a deceiver, conniver, and is on a mission to rob, kill, and destroy (John 10:10) He isn't all-knowing, all-powerful, ever-present, but he and his creepy helpers are very much mindful of our weakness. We need to identify in our lives the times when temptation is the greatest so that we can be keyed into the enemy's plan. Be aware - He watches for the right timing:

1. Times of temptation can come in cycles. If you track it, you will notice that it tends to happen at certain times of the year or after major events in our lives. For many years I have been recording in my devotionals dates, situations, issues I am facing, staff issues and have now noticed a pattern. There are certain times of the year that I seem to be more vulnerable. I shared this in a message I preached on Sunday, and today in my quiet time, I noted in my Chambers devotional that for three years in a row I was having a pity-party at this time of the year.

We have been working hard to raise some funds from several foundations and each one has turned us down. The most promising one met on Saturday and we were very optimistic about the grant. Yesterday I received word that our gift was deferred to the fall due to the lack of funds. I found myself having a pity-party! Then I read the Word this morning and my devotional literature and was whacked on the side of the head!

2. We often face our greatest temptations after an emotional high or mountaintop experience. I find that my greatest times of temptation occur right after a weekend or conference where we have seen God at work in people's hearts. Some of you have been on a retreat and God worked in your hearts. You made a commitment to obey God or follow Him in an area of your life, and even on the way home, you experienced temptation.

3. The enemy will often wait to hit us when we are tired, weary exasperated. This is when we need to be on our guard!!!

4. He will wait until our guard is down. The preceding verse says, "Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall." Our spiritual pride can be a time to drop our guard. We need to be on our toes at all times.

Are you facing a time of temptation in your life? Don't yield to it. Get on your knees today and thank God that He IS faithful. He won't let you be tempted BEYOND what you are able to bear. Can you identify your greatest times of temptation? Think about it.

Great Quote: The things we are going through are either making us sweeter, better, nobler men and women, or they are making us more critical and fault-finding, and more insistent on our own way. The things that happen either make us evil, or they make us more saintly, depending entirely on our relationship with God and its level of intimacy ... When we understand God's purpose, we will not become small-minded and cynical." Oswald Chambers

No comments: