Saturday, September 23, 2006

JESUS LED ME ALL THE WAY

JESUS LED ME ALL THE WAY

Another one of my great heroes has gone home to be with Jesus. For over
years I have been involved with church music, and one of the great
composers and arrangers of the past several decades was John W.
Peterson. Much like Martin Luther did during his lifetime, John Peterson
brought music back to the church through his choruses and Christmas and
Easter cantatas. John loved to get people together to sing and worship
the Lord, and many of his songs have made it into our modern hymnals,
including: Jesus is Coming Again, Heaven Came Down, Over the Sunset
Mountain, and Shepherd of Love.

John worked with many wonderful composers/arrangers like Don Wrtyzen, Al
Smith, Roger Strader, Don Marsh, and if you listen to Christian radio,
many of his songs and arrangements have been recorded by your favorite
gospel musicians.

John's signature song was JESUS LED ME ALL THE WAY which has been one of
my all-time favorites. This song truly reflects the leading of Jesus in
our lives from the moment we place our faith and trust in Him as Savior,
until we see Him face to face:

Someday life's journey will be o'er,
And I shall reach that distant shore;
I'll sing while ent'ring heaven's door,
JESUS LED ME ALL THE WAY .

If God should let me there review,
The winding paths of earth I knew,
It would be proven clear and true
JESUS LED ME ALL THE WAY .

And hither to my Lord hath led,
Today He guides each step I tread ;
And soon in heav'n it will be said ,
JESUS LED ME ALL THE WAY .

chorus:
Jesus led me all the way ,
Led me step by step each day ;
I will tell the saints and angels
As I lay my burdens down ,
"JESUS LED ME ALL THE WAY."

Thanks, John, for teaching us to sing again. Thanks for teaching us how
to worship. I wouldn't be surprised that the heavenly choir isn't
already singing your songs!

John W. Peterson (1921-2006)

No comments: