Sunday, July 16, 2006

A PRAYER OF THE PURITANS FOR THE LORD'S DAY

A PRAYER OF THE PURITANS FOR THE LORD'S DAY

O Lord, my Lord,
This is your day,
The heavenly ordinance of rest,
The open door of worship,
The record of Jesus' resurrection,
The seal of the sabbath to come,
The day when saints militant and triumphant unite in endless song.
I bless you for the throne of grace,
that here free favor reigns;
that open access to it is through the blood of Jesus;
that the veil is torn aside and I can enter the holiest
and find you ready to hear,
waiting to be gracious,
inviting me to pour out my needs,
encouraging my desires,
promising to give more than I ask or think.
But while I bless you, shame and confusion are mine:
I remember my past misuse of sacred things,
my irreverent worship,
my base ingratitude,
my cold, dull praise.
Sprinkle all my past sabbath with the cleansing blood of Jesus,
and may this day witness deep improvement in me.
Give me in rich abundance the blessings the Lord's Day was designed to impart;
May my heart be fast bound against worldly thoughts or cares;
Flood my mind with peace beyond understanding;
may my meditations be sweet,
my acts of worship, life, liberty, joy,
my drink the streams that flow from your throne,
my food the precious Word,
my defense the shield of faith,
and may my heart be more knit to Jesus.

From THE VALLEY OF VISION -- Prayers of the Puritans

Great quote: When we worship the Lord, let's remember that He is in control. Nothing alarms Him, or takes Him by surprise. Nothing is too big for Him to handle, or so small it escapes His attention. When the winds of my world begin to blow, He remains seated. When raging waves surround me, He governs their temper...I need not be moved ... Because the Lord is seated and sovereign...He alone is sovereign.

Ronald James

TODAY IN CONCERT AT AMERICA'S KESWICK -- George and Kathy Abbas
2:30 PM Hymnsing followed by the concert at 3:00 PM -- ACTIVITY CENTER

No comments: