Tuesday, May 30, 2006

PLEASANT WORDS

"Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the mind and healing to the body." Proverbs 16:24

The Holy Spirit keeps hammering me on the power of my words. My words can be so destructive or they can build up. Think about some of the "destructive language" we use with ourselves and with others:

You never ...
There's no way ...
You should ...
I'm not good at ...
What's the point of ...
The problem with ...
You don't understand ...
That's stupid ...
Don't go there ...
It hurts to ...
You don't get it ...
We'll lose if ...
I'm better than ...
Listen to me ...
Don't start ...
It's depressing when ...
When I was your age ...
I'm afraid that ...
This is the worst thing that ...
I don't care about ...
You make me ...

Now here are some ways we can be positive and constructive with our words:

One possibility is ...
It would be good to ...
I love you because ...
Thank you for ...
I appreciate the ...
I like ...
I understand why ...
Your best quality ...
The best part ...
Have confidence ...
Please ...
We'll succeed if we ...
It's okay to ...
My reasoning is ...
I'm best at ...
The good news is ...
Let's make the best of ...
That's a good point ...
How can I help you with ...
I'm sorry ...
It's my responsibility ...

(from WHAT HAPPY PEOPLE KNOW by Dan Baker and Cameron Stauth)

Good words for me to consider today. Join us for our Father Son Night at America's KESWICK. Former New York Giant, Keith Elias, will be our speaker. 6:15 PM is a great dinner followed by the program. Afterwards, you can enjoy the pool, weight room and gym with your son or Dad. Make your reservation today -- 800-453-7942.

No comments: