Sunday, May 07, 2006

INFLUENCE

FOR SOME REASON THIS DID NOT GO OUT YESTERDAY . . . SO I AM USING IT FOR
TODAY'S FREEDOM FIGHTER . . .

INFLUENCE

Have you ever stopped to think that YOU influence the lives of the
people you meet? On Thursday night I had the privilege of being a part
of a memorial service for a dear friend who greatly influenced my life.
She was 91 when she slipped into eternity last Saturday at 6:30 AM.

If I had to make a list of the people who influenced my life as a child,
this lady would be on the top three. She loved kids and had an
incredible ministry called Kids Korner that met on Friday nights at our
home church. As a young teenager, she pulled me aside and encouraged me
to be a "helper" on Friday nights -- setting up chairs, helping with
memory verses, learning to run a movie projector, and all other kinds of
fun jobs. She got us involved in helping with Vacation Bible School and
eventually had us teaching a class.

During my later teen years and while dating, she would send me notes of
encouragement always reminding me how important it was to serve the
Lord. She loved God and when you touched her she bled JESUS and HIS
WORD. After we were married and were in "full-time" Christian service,
she would invite me to sing and preach at the Sunday B Ladies Auxiliary
meeting. Her smile, her encouraging words, her notes reminding me of her
prayers influenced me in ways that she never could imagine.

Shortly after coming to America's KESWICK, we established a number of
off-campus prayer groups. One meets in Philly at a retirement community.
Much to my surprise, this grand lady was a resident and began attending
our prayer times. What I quickly discovered is that her love for Jesus
had only intensified even more! I loved to hear her pray and talk with
her Savior.

As I reflected this week on her life, I realized that had it not been
for Gertie Shoemaker, I may not be in ministry today. I am thankful to
the Lord that He brought her into my life. She has had a profound impact
on my life, family and ministry. It helped me to realize again that I
too can have an influence on the lives of others. That is an awesome
responsibility and privilege. May I never take that for granted. Thank
you, Gertie Shoemaker for influencing my life for Christ.

Pr 4:13 - Always remember what you have been taught, and don't let go of
it. Keep all that you have learned; it is the most important thing in
life.
1Co 2:13 - We don't have to rely on the world's guesses and opinions. We
didn't learn this by reading books or going to school; we learned it
from God, who taught us person-to-person through Jesus, and we're
passing it on to you in the same firsthand, personal way.
Php 4:9 - Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or
seen in me--put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

2Ti 1:13 - Hold on to the pattern of right teaching you learned from me.
And remember to live in the faith and love that you have in Christ
Jesus.
2Ti 3:14 - But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have
become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it.

No comments: