Sunday, April 30, 2006

I AM . . . i am not . . .

I AM . . . i am not . . .

Several weeks ago I shared with you some thoughts from Louie Giglio's
message on Moses'. I was so blessed by the message that I tracked down
his book . . . i am not but I know I AM -- Welcome to the Story of God,
published by our good friends at Multnomah.

As we prepare to worship this morning, I remind you that we are
worshipping the great I AM -- worship is not about you and me -- it is
about HIM. When God called Moses from the burning bush, Moses asked who
he was talking to, to which God responded 'I AM!" Listen to what Louie
says about this great I AM . . .

"In English, the name I AM translates into the very TO BE. Or simply BE.
Therefore, God's name is BE. I AM = I BE. Not great grammar, but
powerful theology. God knew it was imperative for Moses to know who He
was -- that He was I AM. I AM is present tense, active form of the verb
TO BE. As God's name, it declares that He is unchanging, constant,
unending, always present, always God.

God was telling Moses:
I AM the center of everything.
I AM running the show.
I AM the same every day, forever.
I AM the owner of everything.
I AM the Lord.
I AM the Creator and Sustainer of Life.
I AM the Savior.
I AM more than enough.
I AM inexhaustible and immeasurable.
I AM God.

In a heartbeat, Moses knew God's name -- and something more. He finally
knew his. For if God's name is I AM, Moses' name must be i am not.

I am not the center of everything.
I am not in control.
I am not the solution.
I am not all-powerful.
I am not calling the shots.
I am not the owner of everything.
I am not the Lord.

And that's your name and mine name too . . .

I am not running anything.
I am not the ahead of anything.
I am not in charge of anything.
I am not the maker.
I am not the savior.
I am not holding it all together.
I am not all-knowing.
I am not God.

And God's name is still I AM."

"We will glorify the KING OF KINGS.
We will glorify the Lamb.
We will glorify the Lord of Lords,
HE IS the great I AM!"

Rejoice in HIM this morning, and for all your days.

No comments: