Friday, October 07, 2005

TRUSTING HIM TO KEEP YOU

"I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." (Philippians 3:12)

"'Abide in me': These words are no law of Moses, demanding from the sinful what they cannot perform. They are the command of love, which is only a promise in a different shape. Think of this until all feeling of burden, fear, and despair pass away, and the first thought that comes as
you hear of abiding in Jesus is one of bright and joyous hope: It is for me; I know I will enjoy it. You are not under the law which is demanding DO, but under grace with its blessed BELIEVE what Christ will do for you. And if the questions is asked, 'But surely there is something for us TO DO,' the answer is, 'Our DOING and WORKING are but the FRUIT of Christ working in us.' It is when the soul becomes utterly PASSIVE, looking for and resting in what CHRIST will do, that its energies are stirred to their highest activity, and we work most effectively because we know that He works in us. It is as we see in the words 'REMAIN IN ME' (John 15:4) the mighty energies of love reaching out after us to have us and to hold us, that all the strength of our will is awakened to abide in Him.

This connection between Christ's work and our work is beautifully expressed in the words of Paul: 'I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.' It was because he knew that the mighty and the faithful One had grasped him with the glorious purpose of making him one with Christ that he did his utmost to grasp the glorious prize.

Fix your eyes on Christ. Gaze on the love that shines in those eyes and asks whether you can trust Him, who sought, found, and brought you near, now to keep you. It is because Jesus has taken hold of me and because He keeps me that I dare to say, 'Savior, I abide in You.'"

from the pen of ANDREW MURRAY -- THE ANDREW MURRAY DAILY READER IN TODAY'S LANGUAGE published by Bethany House Publishers (Murray [1828-1917] was born in South Africa. After receiving his education in Scotland and Holland, he returned top South Africa and spent his life there as a pastor, missionary, and author of many devotional books. He
and his wife, Emma, raised eight children.)

No comments: