Tuesday, May 31, 2005

PSALM 27 . . . a paraphrase

"You, O Lord, are my might and my salvation.
You are my refuge and my strength.
No evil can befall me.
No foe can overcome me.
No disaster overtake me.
Though I am surrounded by dangers,
nothing really frightens me.
Though I am engulfed by uncertainty,
I am confident in Your presence.

I have one desire --
that I may live victoriously with You all the days of my life!
I want my eyes to look upon Your glory.
I want my steps to take me to Your presence.
I want to rest securely in Your holy dwelling place.
You shelter me from the sun and the storm;
You protect me from adversity;
You lift me up toward the high places,
where I look down on my enemies from a vantage point of strength
and security.

I want to sing YOUR praises, Lord.
I want to shout for joy.
I want to make music of adoration.
Hear me when I pray, O God.
Forgive me and heed my request.
I want to seek YOUR approval.
I want to know YOUR presence.
I want to experience YOUR approval.

Please, Lord, do not turn away from me.
Don't be angry at my waywardness.
You are my constant help.
Stay with me, O Lord.
Accept my praise and love.
You are faithful.
Though everyone else in the world may abandon deserts and abandons
me,
YOU WILL STILL HOLD ME AND DRAW ME TO YOU.

Help me to know You as You are, O Lord.
Keep me on the straight and narrow path.
Don't let me depart from Your will.
Don't let the enemies of my soul prevail.
Don't let falsehood and violence overpower me.

There is much I don't know,
but I am confident of one thing --
I CAN TRUST MY PRESENT AND MY FUTURE TO YOU, O LORD!
You will bless me with long and satisfying life.
I will look EXPECTANTLY for what YOU will bring about, O Lord.
I will wait patiently for Your will to be done.

Make me strong, brave, stouthearted, courageous, and FAITHFUL."

from Under His Wings by Ward Patterson published by Accent Books.

As one of my mentors would say . . . "that is a text that preaches!"
Good words for today.

Tomorrow is the premiere edition of VICTORY CALL -- a Monday through
Friday email of encouragement for women. To sign up, visit our website:
www.americaskeswick.org

No comments: